Rhizon Soil Moisture Samplers
All Rhizon soil moisture samplers have the following characteristics
- non destructive: the soil structure stays intact
- inert material: no ion exchange, no adsorption
- mean pore size 0,15 µm, no filtration needed before analysis
- low dead volume
- for use in saturated and unsaturated parts of the soil
- fit for measurement of all dissolved components in the soil moisture
- can be used for repeated and reliable sampling.
Furthermore, they are disposable and leak tested. They are available in packages of 10 Rhizons.
To meet the demands of different areas of research, we developed different groups of Rhizons, each of which consists of several types. Three groups of Rhizons have an inert micro porous tube, closed at one end and at the other end connected to flexible, strengthened PVC/PE tubing with 1 mm internal diameter and a luer-lock connector. Those three groups are:
- Rhizons, 2.5 mm outer diameter, for use in pots, vessels, cores
- MacroRhizons, 4.5 mm outer diameter, especially for use in the field
- MicroRhizons, 1 mm outer diameter, especially for rhizotrons
Rhizon samplers function when the soil is humid. When the soil dries, Rhizons stop functioning but they will function again after rewetting the soil. Cracking soils may damage Rhizons, in that case you might consider using
- RhizoCera, 1 or 3 mm outer diameter, made of pure Al2O3, when mechanical strength is important.
For all types of experiments for which you need other Rhizons, we develop and produce customized Rhizons, called
- Specials. Don’t hesitate to ask us about the possibilities.
Before you can take your samples, you will need additional accessories to create a vacuum. This can be either a syringe or a vacuum tube. For field experiments, extension tubing might be useful. We could advise you about the best accessories for your experiments.